Douro River + Lisbon
8 Night Land & Cruise Program
Lisbon – 3 Nights
Douro River Cruise – 5 Nights
Suggested Program Inclusives
- Transfer by motorcoach with airport porterage and English-speaking guide assistance from the Lisbon Airport to the Lisbon hotel on DAY 1.
- A guided city tour of Lisbon prior to hotel checkin on DAY 1.
- Lunch at a local Lisbon restaurant prior to hotel checkin on DAY 1.
- Three nights first class accommodations with daily buffet breakfast, taxes and in/out hotel porterage at the Hotel Tivoli Jardim in Lisbon, or similar. Subject to group availability on DAYS 1, 2 and 8.
- Welcome dinner at the Hotel Tivoli Jardim on DAY 1.
- Full day guided tour of Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the resort of Portuguese royalty on DAY 2.
- Lunch during the full day Sintra tour on DAY 2.
- Full day guided touring transfer by coach from Lisbon to the ship pier in Porto. Lunch is included in Coimbra, along with a sightseeing tour of Coimbra, prior to late afternoon ship embarkation on DAY 3.
- Six day / five night Douro River cruise from Porto to Vega de Teron and return to Porto with port taxes, daily buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner included. (Tours from the ship are not included but they can be costed into the program on a group basis only on DAYS 3-8.)
- Full day touring transfer by coach from the ship pier in Porto back to the Lisbon area. Sightseeing stops will be made along the way in Fatima. A group lunch in Fatima can be included, if requested.
- Transfer by coach with guide assistance & airport porterage from the Lisbon hotel to the Lisbon Airport on DAY 9.
Proposed Daily Itinerary
Arrival at Lisbon Airport where a private motorcoach and guide will be waiting. According to flight schedule and hotel checkin restrictions, you will likely have time for a city tour of Lisbon and a welcome lunch at a local restaurant. After lunch, the coach and guide will drop off the group at the Hotel Tivoli Jardim in Lisbon. The remainder of the day is available for indidvidual sightseeing or relaxing in your room. That evening, a welcome dinner is planned at your hotel. Overnight in Lisbon.
After breakfast, the coach and guide return to the hotel. Today, a full day tour is planned to Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the home of Portugal’s royalty. This day’s tour will also include lunch before returning the group back to the hotel in late afternoon. The rest of the day is free and dinner is on your own. Your guide and/or the hotel staff will gladly make suggestions for restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Overnight in Lisbon.
After breakfast and hotel checkout, the private coach and guide arrive to take the group north to Porto to begin the Douro River cruise. We will take most of this day to do some sightseeing along the way as the embarkation of the ship takes place at approximately 5:00 PM at the ship pier in Porto. The coach will stop in Coimbra for sightseeing and lunch at a local restaurant. From there, it is on to meet the ship and time to checkin. Settling into the cabins is followed by a welcome cocktail in the lounge and the introduction of the crew. Dinner is served after this initial reception. That evening, an optional coach tour is offered around an illuminated city of Porto. Overnight in Porto.
After breakfast on board the ship, an optional tour of Porto is offered. Porto is Portugal’s second largest city and it is one of the oldest cities in Europe. The ancient areas of the city are kept intact and the tour features magnificent churches and houses with archways along winding roads. Porto is also famous for the vineyards along the Douro River which produce Port wine. The tour stops at one of the best wineries in the city, Villa Nova de Gaia. While in this famous cellar, you will have the opportunity to taste their wines. Then the coach takes everyone back to the ship for lunch on board, prior to starting the cruise. Along the way to Regua, their will be time to admire the wonderful landscapes and to pass through the locks of Crestuma and Carapatello (the highest in Europe at 35 meters or about 115 feet). Arrival in Regua is scheduled for around 8:00 PM. Dinner is on board with a folk group performance, or a walk by night in Regua with your ship’s hostess. Overnight in Regua.
After breakfast on board the ship, a visit of Vila Real is planned. Later on, an optional walking tour is offered to the beautiful gardens of Solar de Mateus. The ship will continue sailing on from Regua during this time and meet the passengers in time for lunch in Pinhao. From Pinhao, the ship will sail east through the beautiful high hills where the most famous Port vineyards are located. These vines are terraced up the hillsides often up to 700 meters (about 2200-2300 feet). The ship passes through the Valeria Lock before arriving in Vega de Teron that evening. Dinner onboard the ship is followed by a crew show. Overnight in Vega de Teron.
Breakfast is served on board, followed by a full-day optional excursion to the Spanish town of Salamanca. This town is a UNESCO World Heritage site with its Roman, Arabic and Christian architectural treasures. Lunch is in Salamanca before heading back to the ship in Vega de Teron. Since Vega de Teron is a Spanish town, dinner is served onboard with a Spanish themed evening. Overnight in Vega de Teron.
There is an early morning cruise departure scheduled and breakfast served on board. The ship arrives in Ferradosa at 9:00 AM. From there, an optional port wine tour and tasting is offered while the ship continues sailing towards Bitetos. This tour follows the wine road which runs through the heart of the vineyards before stopping to sample some of these vintages in a quinta (wine cellar). We then rejoin the ship in Tavora for lunch on board. While sailing back west on the Douro, you will enjoy the river’s wild and beautiful landscapes. The ship arrives at 8:30 PM in Bitetos. Dinner is served on board along with a folkloric evening show. Overnight is in Bitetos.
An early morning departure is scheduled out of Bitetos with breakfast served on board. Arrival in Porto is around 9:00 AM followed by disembarkation. A private motorcoach and guide arrives to take passengers back to the Lisbon area for a final overnight. On this return back to Lisbon, there will be time for some sightseeing in Fatima. The final night will be spent at the Tivoli Hotel Jardim and there will be a farewell dinner planned at the hotel. Overnight in Lisbon.
After breakfast and hotel checkout, your coach and guide arrive, according to flight schedule to take the group to the Lisbon Airport for the return trip back to the U.S.
Please note the following:
- CroisiEurope also offers an 8 day cruise on the Douro River.
- Additional hotel overnights, group meals and land services can be added in Portugal and/or Spain.
- Another option would be an extension to the island of Madeira with airfare included. We recommend a stay in Madeira for no less than 3 nights.