April – October
MIDDLE RHINE RIVER / STRASBOURG /
THE BLACK FOREST
Rhine River Cruise – 4 Nights
Strasbourg – 3 Nights
Suggested Program Inclusives
- Transfer from the Strasbourg Airport with deluxe motorcoach, porterage & English-speaking guide to the city hotel.
- Prior to mid-afternoon hotel checkin, the group will go on a city tour while the luggage is taken to the Strasbourg hotel. There will be a walking tour of the “old town” beginning with a visit to the Cathedral & followed by a stroll through the beautiful Petit France section of the city.
- Three course lunch with coffee/tea at the Au Pont St. Martin Restaurant in Strasbourg’s Petit France section of the “old town”.
- Three nights accommodations at the Hotel Beaucouer including daily buffet breakfast, all taxes & in/out hotel porterage.
- Four night first class Rhine River cruise from Strasbourg to Koblenz to Strasbourg. The cruise includes all meals while on board the ship, as well as, half day tours to Heidelberg & Rudesheim, plus, a canal cruise at night around Strasbourg.
- Full day guided coach tour to The Black Forest in southwest Germany (lunch not included).
- Full day guided coach tour on the Alsace Wine Road, including stops in Colmar, Riquewihr & Zellenberg.
- Tasting of 3 Alsatian wines with Kougelhof during the Alsace Wine Road tour.
- Two course Flamkuch lunch with coffee/tea at a local Riquewihr restaurant during the Alsace Wine Road tour.
- Half day guided coach tour to the German spa town of Baden-Baden (lunch is not included). It is also possible to do this tour by train from Strasbourg (according to rail schedules) for an additional cost per person.
- Farewell dinner of three courses with coffee/tea at the Maison Kammerzell Restaurant in Strasbourg.
- Transfer by coach with English-speaking guide assistance from the Strasbourg hotel to the Strasbourg Airport with porterage.
Proposed Daily Itinerary
Upon the group’s arrival at the Strasbourg Airport, a deluxe motorcoach and English-speaking guide will be waiting to retrieve the luggage of the tour participants. From there, the coach will proceed to Strasbourg for a short orientation drive around the city before arriving at the hotel. Since it will be too early for checkin, the luggage will be dropped off at the hotel and the group will start their walking tour around the “old town” beginning at the beautiful red sandstone Cathedral. Inside the Cathedral, you will find an amazing astrological clock. Every day at 12:30 PM, the clock begins to whirr and the 12 apostles parade before Christ. After some time in the Cathedral and in the shopping area around the square, you will proceed on foot to the Petit France area of the “old town” which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage of Humanity site. Lunch will be served in a local restaurant and the group will be ready for a brief walk to the hotel for checkin. The rest of the day is free for individual sightseeing. Feel free to check with your local guide or the front desk personnel for restaurant recommendations, as dinner is on your own.
After breakfast and hotel checkout, your private coach and guide returns to take the group on a tour of the Black Forest region of southwest Germany. The drive takes you through the hills and forests to the resort town of Titisee. Here you will have time for lunch on your own, shopping for cuckoo clocks at a German version of a “cuckoo clock outlet store”, as well as, an opportunity to relax by the lake. At the end of the day, you will arrive back in the Strasbourg suburbs in time to embark on the ship to begin your 4 night Rhine River cruise.
The day begins by sailing past the towns of Lauterbourg, Speyer and Mainz. Breakfast is served on board as we continue north towards Koblenz. This is the most beautiful stretch of the Romantic Rhine as towns like, Kaub, Oberwessel and St. Goar come into view before docking in Koblenz around 6.00 PM. In the distance, you can admire the Stolzenfels Castle and the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress. We invite you to accompany your ship’s hostess on an informal walk around the old town area of Koblenz before returning to the ship for dinner. This is followed by a free evening with an overnight in Koblenz.
Breakfast is served on board while cruising back south along the most beautiful stretch of the Romantic Rhine between Koblenz and Rudesheim,. Lush vineyards are dotted with picturesque wine towns while romantic castles are perched high on the tops of the hills. We pass by the legendary Lorelei Rock before arriving in Rudesheim at around 3.00 PM. Upon arrival in Rudesheim, there is a guided tour of the town on the miniature train. This tour calls in at a wine cellar to taste some of the local vintages before visiting the musical instrument museum. Both lunch and dinner will be served on board the ship. We encourage you to spend an enjoyable evening in Rudesheim on the lively Drosselgrasse with its open air taverns and dancehalls. Overnight is in Rudesheim.
Breakfast is served on board as we get an early start cruising up the Rhine towards Speyer, while passing the towns of Wiesbaden, Nierstein, Worms and Mannheim along the way. Lunch is served on board. In the afternoon, a guided group tour of Heidelberg takes participants into portions of the castle and the city center. Return to the ship from the Heidelberg tour around 6:00 PM followed by dinner on board, plus, a gala evening and dancing. An overnight sailing takes us south towards Strasbourg.
Breakfast is served on board with an early morning arrival in Strasbourg. Disembarkation takes place about 9:00 AM.
Upon ship disembarkation, your private coach and guide reappear for a full day tour along the Alsace Wine Road. The day begins with the drive south to the beautiful city of Colmar. While you are there, you will visit the “Little Venice” section of the city which is known for its canals and picturesque Alsatian half-timbered buildings. Colmar is also famous for its unique shops and the annual Christmas markets.
From Colmar, the coach heads back north towards Strasbourg traveling through wine villages of half-timbered houses with flower boxes. On the signs coming into each town – alongside the name of the town – each one lists the number of flowers it was awarded. The more flowers on the sign, the higher their town’s rating for its flower displays. A stop for lunch and a winetasting will be made in the charming village of Riquewihr with its cobblestone streets, wine bars and tourist shops. This section of southeast France is also known for its population of storks which is the unofficial Alsatian mascot. Souvenirs with storks are found everywhere in this region.
Upon completion of the tour, the coach brings the group to the Strasbourg hotel for checkin. The rest of the day is free for individual sightseeing and dinner is on their own. Strasbourg is also famous for its excellent restaurants and the wonderful local wines.
After breakfast, there will be free time to explore Strasbourg which is the home of the European Union legislators. English is widely spoken here but for some curious reason, it is largely unknown to many American travelers. Those Americans who have discovered the city, and the Alsatian region, are more than happy to come back for a return visit.
Later in the morning, your private coach and guide return to take the group on a half day tour to the famous German spa town of Baden-Baden. One of the most elegant casinos in all of Europe is located in Baden-Baden along with many wonderful restaurants, shops, beautiful parks and gardens. A walking tour of the town is part of the tour and lunch is on your own.
After the tour to Baden-Baden, the coach lets the group off in Strasbourg with the rest of the day free for individual sightseeing. That evening, a farewell dinner is planned at the historic Maison Kammerzell. The restaurant is located in the square directly across from the Cathedral in a building dating back to the 1400’s. The food is typical Alsatian and it’s one of the best in the city.
After breakfast and according to the group’s flight schedule, hotel checkout will be followed by a coach transfer to the Strasbourg Airport for the flight back to the U.S.
Please note the following:
- Additional overnights in Strasbourg, group meals, activities, along with full and half day tours can be costed into this basic program.
- Final prices are contingent on hotel availability in superior tourist class properties, exchange rates, group size and program dates.
- For an additional per person price, regularly scheduled roundtrip trains could be subsitituted for the half day coach tour from Strasbourg to Baden-Baden. At this time, trains run every two hours in each direction.
- Longer and/or shorter Rhine River cruises can be booked for this itinerary, although, it would also mean altering the land portion of this program.
- The order of the listed tours and the sequence of pre- and/or post-cruise days in Strasbourg can be adjusted, according to group specifications.