Rhine River + The Hague + Luzern
April – May
AMSTERDAM & HOLLAND / RHINE RIVER CRUISE /
STRASBOURG / LUZERN
The Hague – 2 Nights
Rhine River Cruise – 6 Nights
Strasbourg – 1 Nights
Luzern – 2 Nights
Suggested Program Inclusives
- Pickup by motorcoach with an English-speaking guide from Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport for a full day of touring with stops at the Aalsmer Flower Market, a wooden shoe factory, lunch at a cheese farm & a walking tour of Volendam prior to hotel checkin in The Hague.
- Two nights of first class accommodations with daily breakfast, in/out hotel porterage, taxes & service charges at the Carlton Ambassador Hotel in The Hague.
- Full day coach tour beginning with a stop at Kinderdijk to visit a working windmill. From there it is on the Delft for a tour of the famous porcelain factory. A typical Dutch lunch is served at a local restuarant followed by a visit to the Prinsenhof Museum & some free time for shopping in Delft.
- Full day guided tour to the wold famous Rijksmuseum & the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, prior to ship embarkation.
- Six night Rhine River cruise from Amsterdam to Strasbourg with port taxes, daily buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner included. The first 2 nights of the cruise are on board the ship in Amsterdam. All port taxes are included. Tours from the ship are not included. They can be kept optional or prepaid for the entire group.
- Upon disembarkation from the ship in Strasbourg, a coach will arrive for a guided tour of Strasbourg. This will include; a walking tour of the “old town”, a canal cruise around the city & a lunch at the oldest restaurant in Strasbourg.
- One night’s superior tourist class accommodations at the Maison Rouge Hotel, or similar, with buffet breakfast, all taxes, service charges and in/out hotel porterage.
- Full day guided touring transfer by deluxe motorcoach from the Strasbourg hotel to Luzern via the village of Titisee in the “heart of the Black Forest” of southwest Germany. Prior to arrival in Luzern, the group will stop in Schaffhausen to see the Rhine Falls.
- Three course lunch with coffee in Titisee with time to shop for cuckoo clocks at the source.
- Two nights superior tourist class accommodations at the Waldstatterhof Hotel, or similar, in Luzern with daily Swiss buffet breakfast, in/out hotel porterage, taxes and service charges included.
- Guided Luzern city walking tour of the “old town” after hotel checkin.
- Farewell Swiss folkloric show and dinner at the Restaurant Stadtkeller in the “old town” of Luzern. (Transfers and guide assistance can be included, if needed.)
- Transfer by coach with English-speaking guide and porterage from the Luzern hotel to the Zurich Airport, according to flight schedule.
Proposed Daily Itinerary
Upon arrival at Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport, an English-speaking guide and motorcoach will be waiting to take the group to the Aalmser Flower Market (time permitting). Located on the airport grounds, this market operates each weekday between 6:30-10:30 AM and it’s sole purpose is the wholesale buying and selling of flowers that arrive in Amsterdam from all over the world. It is a fascinating adventure. From there, it is on to the town of Volendam for a walking tour and a visit to a wooden shoe factory. Then, the group is invited to a hearty lunch at the Henri Willig cheese farm before transfering to the Carlton Ambassador Hotel in The Hague. The rest of the day is free for relaxation and individual sightseeing. Dinner is on your own.
After breakfast, your coach and guide reappear for a full day of touring around Holland. It begins with a visit to Kinderdijk and a tour inside a working windmill. Then, it is on to the town of Delft where you will be present for a demonstration at the world famous Delft Porcelain Factory. You will have an opportunity to buy souvenirs there, and after a group lunch at a local restaurant, a chance to do some shopping and individual sightseeing in this beautiful, quaint town. You may want to spend the rest of the day in Delft which could include a visit to the Prinsenhof Museum. Or the group can return to the Hague in mid-afternoon. A visit to one of the local museums in The Hague is recommended to view the Mesdag Panorama which is a series of paintings that will make you feel that you are on a ship in the middle of the sea. We return to the hotel and dinner is again on your own. If you haven’t already done so, we suggest patronizing the hotel restaurant.
After breakfast and hotel checkout, your coach and guide are back to take you to the wonderful city of Amsterdam. Today’s plan is to show you the top museums in the city, the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh. They are conveniently located in one of the city’s best areas, the Leidesplein. There are many shops and restaurants here. We suggest that you begin by touring the Rijksmsueum in the morning, take some time for lunch on your own, and then tour the Van Gogh Museum before heading for the Rhine River cruise ship late in the afternoon.
Cruise embarkation takes place in Amsterdam at the ship piers behind the Central Train Station between 5:00-6:00 PM. Settling into the cabins is followed by the introduction of the crew. This takes place in the lounge over a welcome cocktail, prior to dinner on board. After dinner, an optional visit of the old quarters of the city by canal boat. Overnight is in Amsterdam on the ship.
After breakfast on board the ship, an optional tour of Amsterdam is offered. You will discover the city’s diamond merchants and the historical city center which is rich in architecture. Return onboard in time for lunch on the ship. In the afternoon, an optional visit to the world famous Keukenhof Gardens to view the fabulous tulips is planned. The flower gardens are usually open for the season beginning in late March and they close towards the end of May. For cruises after the third week of May, we substitute an optional tour to Marken and Zaanse Schans. Return onboard the ship for dinner followed by a free evening to explore the city on your own. Overnight in Amsterdam on the ship.
Departure of the ship very early in the morning for a nighttime sailing south towards Nijmegen. A short port call is made in Nijmegen in the morning for about 3 hours for individual sightseeing, or you may want to take the optional tour to Kroller-Muller Museum near Arnhem. This museum contains paintings of Van Gogh and other impressionist artists, as well as, a unique sculpture garden. After departing Nijmegen, lunch is served on board as the ship sails south. We will pass alongside the towns of Wesel and Duisbourg while dinner is served onboard. Arrival in Krefeld is scheduled for about 10:00 PM with overnight there.
Departure from Krefeld is about 8:00 AM while breakfast is served onboard the ship. We will sail past the city of Dusseldorf which is the capital of the province of Northern Westphalia & past the medieval city of Zons. Lunch is served on board, prior to the ship’s arrival in Cologne at about 3:00 PM. There is no tour planned but the ship is located in an area of the city famous for its restaurants & cafes. A short walk (6-7 minutes) from the ship to the Domplatz area brings the visitor to the world famous Cologne Cathedral. It is truly a magnificent structure. The ship’s hostess will lead those who are interested to the Cathedral. There will be 2-3 hours (depending on the ship’s schedule) to spend in Cologne. Around 6:00 PM, the ship departs Cologne heading south with dinner served onboard. We sail past the city of Bonn, an old university town and the former capital of West Germany before arriving in Koenigswinter that evening for an overnight there.
An early morning departure is scheduled from Koenigswinter, prior to breakfast being served on board. We will pass alongside the city of Koblenz, where the Moselle River flows into the Rhine, and begin sailing through the most scenic portion of the river. On this day of sailing through the Loreley region of the Rhine, you will be able to admire the beautiful castles that are perched on the hilltops overlooking the well-maintained vineyards & the picturesque wine villages. Lunch is served on board with arrival in the town of Rudesheim scheduled for late afternoon. An optional tour of Rudesheim by Minitrain & a visit to the musical museum is planned on arrival. Dinner is served on board the ship with the evening free to visit the wine bars, taverns & shops located on the famous Drosselgasse. It is a real treat to visit this town which is a party waiting to happen 365 days per year. Overnight in Rudesheim.
Early morning departure from Rudesheim prior to breakfast being served on board. The ship sails south alongside the towns of Speyer, Weisbaden, Nierstein, Worms & Mannheim with lunch served onboard. The ship arrives in Mannheim early in the afternoon & an optional excursion is planned to the beautiful university town of Heidelberg where a visit to the Heidelberg Castle is part of the day’s program. There is an overnight sailing from Mannheim south towards Strasbourg.
A private motorcoach and English-speaking guide will be waiting for you to disembark at 9:00 AM from your Rhine River cruise in Strasbourg. You will be taken to the “old town” area of the city while your bags are taken directly to the hotel for your arrival after lunch. Your city tour begins with a walk in the “old town” followed by a canal cruise around the city. After the canal cruise, you will walk up to the beautiful Strasbourg cathedral. There will be some time for shopping before a group lunch at the beautiful Maison Kammerzell Restaurant. This landmark is located right across the square from the cathedral and it has served great Alsatian cuisine since the 1400’s. After lunch, your guide will walk you to your hotel for immediate checkin with the rest of the day free for individual sightseeing and dinner on your own.
After breakfast and hotel checkout, the motorcoach and guide arrive for the full day touring transfer to Luzern. Today, we will drive through the fabled Black Forest of Germany to the quaint village of Titisee for some sightseeing, lunch and an opportunity to buy souvenirs, including cuckoo clocks. After lunch & shopping, it is on to Luzern. Along the way, there will be a stop in Schaffhausen where you will visit the Rhine Falls. Hotel checkin in Luzern will be followed by a chance to freshen up before your guide reappears for a walking tour around the “old town” of Luzern. Dinner is on your own. Overnight in Luzern.
This day is free for individual sightseeing, shopping for souvenirs or to get out on Lake Luzern for a breathtaking sailing on one of Europe’s most beautiful bodies of water. Lake Luzern and the city of Luzern is surrounded by mountains & an excursion to one of these mountains can be easily arranged. This evening, a farewell dinner and folkloric show is planned at the Stadtkellar Restaurant. The group will be thoroughly entertained by the musicians and you will have an opportunity to have a wonderful Swiss dinner. Overnight in Luzern.
After an early breakfast and hotel checkout, it is time to board the coach with your guide for the transfer to the Zurich Airport and the flight back home to the U.S.
Please note the following:
- Additional hotel overnights, group meals and land services can be arranged during itinerary planning. We might also suggest a 2-3 night pre-cruise stay in Brussels.
- It is also possible to begin the Rhine River cruise in Strasbourg and sail north to Amsterdam. A reverse cruise would be for 6 days and 5 nights.
- The touring transfer from Strasbourg to Luzern can also be via the Alsace Wine Road in France instead of through the Black Forest. We would still suggest lunch along the way and a stop at a local Alsatian winery for a tasting.
- Several full day tours can be arranged on a group basis with lunch on DAY 11 from Luzern. This could include; a visit to Interlaken and Grindelwald, a visit to the city of Lugano in the southern (Italian) part of Switzerland, a visit to Berne (the capital of Switzerland), a visit to Zurich, or a full day to Mt. Pilatus.
- Another post-cruise land option for a 2-3 night stay could be in Munich.